When deciding which type of material to use for your home, you’ll discover plenty of options. If you’re leaning toward natural materials, consider having a wood home built. Timber homes offer aesthetic appeal, as well as several practical benefits.
These are some of the advantages of living in a home made of wood:
- Better efficiency. Wood provides more insulation than other types of building materials, such as steel or glass. It also helps keep heat inside in winter and cool air inside during summer, leading to lower utility bills.
- Thousands of design options. Since there are more than 5,000 types of wood available, you’ll have plenty of options to choose from. You can choose different colors or grains for different parts of your home, and you can also have the wood painted another color. The versatility of wood makes it an ideal building material for any home.
- Water-resistant. Certain types of wood, such as Western Red Cedar, are very water-resistant, meaning that you don’t have to worry about the wood absorbing water and swelling.
- Cost-effective and quick. Timber homes are more affordable than homes made from brick, concrete or other materials, and they can be built in a much shorter amount of time. Wood homes can also continue being built in all kinds of weather, including snow and rain.
- Eco-friendly. There are many sustainable sources of wood used to build homes, making this an environmentally friendly material. Wood also absorbs carbon dioxide, which helps make the air healthier.
Our Wood, Stone, Water project illustrates the use of timber in a home’s design. You can view images of this project by visiting our online portfolio.
Need help designing a timber home? Please contact Gelotte Hommas for a consultation, and follow our Facebook page.